Who REALLY OWNS America?
John Boner
2011-07-26 13:24:17 UTC
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/21/who-owns-america-hint-its-not-china/

04:30 PM ET
Share
Comments (417 comments)
Who owns America? Hint: It's not China

Editor's Note: The following piece comes from Global Post, which
provides excellent coverage of world news - important, moving and odd.

By Tom Mucha, Global Post

Truth is elusive. But it's a good thing we have math.

Our friends at Business Insider know this, and put those two
principles to work today in this excellent and highly informative
little slideshow, made even more timely by the ongoing talks in
Washington, D.C. aimed at staving off a U.S. debt default.

Here's the big idea:

Many people — politicians and pundits alike — prattle on that China
and, to a lesser extent Japan, own most of America's $14.3 trillion in
government debt.

But there's one little problem with that conventional wisdom: it's
just not true. While the Chinese, Japanese and plenty of other
foreigners own substantial amounts, it's really Americans who hold
most of America's debt.

Here's a quick and fascinating breakdown by total amount held and
percentage of total U.S. debt, according to Business Insider:

Hong Kong: $121.9 billion (0.9 percent)
Caribbean banking centers: $148.3 (1 percent)
Taiwan: $153.4 billion (1.1 percent)
Brazil: $211.4 billion (1.5 percent)
Oil exporting countries: $229.8 billion (1.6 percent)

aka the fucking arabs

Mutual funds: $300.5 billion (2 percent)
Commercial banks: $301.8 billion (2.1 percent)
State, local and federal retirement funds: $320.9 billion (2.2
percent)
Money market mutual funds: $337.7 billion (2.4 percent)
United Kingdom: $346.5 billion (2.4 percent)
Private pension funds: $504.7 billion (3.5 percent)
State and local governments: $506.1 billion (3.5 percent)
Japan: $912.4 billion (6.4 percent)
U.S. households: $959.4 billion (6.6 percent)
China: $1.16 trillion (8 percent)
The U.S. Treasury: $1.63 trillion (11.3 percent)
Social Security trust fund: $2.67 trillion (19 percent)

So America owes foreigners about $4.5 trillion in debt. But America
owes America $9.8 trillion.

For a smart take on how President Obama and House Republicans should
end gridlock over debt and deficits, see our new GlobalPost series The
Negotiator, which features Wharton's negotiation guru Stuart Diamond.

And to bone up on China's debt — another potentially big global
economic headache — check out this interview with brainy-yet-coherent
Northwestern University economist Victor Shih, who spoke with
GlobalPost's David Case.
Post by: Tom Mucha
Topics: China • Economy • United States
We recommend

Why the 21st Century will not belong to China
Stopping wartime sexual abuse - of men
Hotel maid goes public with allegations against ex-IMF chief
Militants hang 8-year-old boy in southern Afghanistan
Schwarzenegger son seriously injured in surfing mishap, source
says
Which country requires the most education?

From around the web

5 cool cars for under $15,000 BankRate.com
BofA to give away houses BankRate.com
The Average Savings of a U.S. Citizen eHow
What Happens to Debts of a Deceased Person? eHow
Oil Sold as US Debt Fears Sink Sentiment, Gold Up on Safety Demand
Daily FX
DJ BHP Billiton Waiting Period For US$12.1 Bln Petrohawk Bid Cut
MarketWatch.com

[what's this]
Next entry »Why Clinton's comments in India could affect U.S.-Chinese
relations
« Previous entryRhetoric and regime change in Syria
soundoff (417 Responses)

FriendsofIndia

Fareed, I am disappointed at you. How can you forget about India!
We own the whole rest of the world.

India is the undisputed leader of the BRIC countries. India is the
world's only super duper power after this economic crisis, and India
is the world's greatest democracy. Here in Mumbai, there in Delhi, and
there again in Pune, India shines while the world declines!

India's Tata has been lording over the world industries by
purchasing such Western properties as LRJ and Corus, and making these
former money pits a big success. Our Mittal has been overwhelming the
world's steel makers by swallowing up Arcelor. Our mobile phones have
been out-talking all other countries by growing 100 million users
every quarter. Our architects had designed and finished the world's
largest airport in Delhi in Terminal 2. Our engineers have built the
world's greatest hydro dam. Our road builders had just completed the
world's longest bridge in Mumbai. Our prime minister has been
presiding over these big international meetings by sounding our voices
over all these heads of all your minor states. Our super aircraft
carriers have been patrolling the world's oceans and scaring all the
Ethiopia and Somalian pirates off their pants.

For all these a million reasons, submit to your fate under our
Hindu colossus, beg our 5-rupee meal middle classes, bow to our super
powers.

Jai Hind!
July 21, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Reply
max

well, so much for ghandi
July 22, 2011 at 11:40 am | Reply
Manoj Kumar

what on earth is ghandi?
July 23, 2011 at 2:05 am |
Jimmy John

This FriendsofIndia guy is clearly a troll paki or CCP
chinaman propaganda writer. The post is clearly making fun of India
when unnecessary in an article that has nothing to do with INDIA.
Can't believe you fools are assuming this guy is Indian.
July 24, 2011 at 3:41 am |
tc

What a dumkopf
July 24, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
Eric Hoffmann

Jimmy John is an Indian. Stop using American name. Who
cares FriendsofIndia because he is an Indian.
July 25, 2011 at 1:54 am |
spoo

do not forget to include the billion hungry souls living in
shanty towns
July 22, 2011 at 11:42 am | Reply
Maersk

Those hungry souls are called slumdogs. There are millions
of them still have to go to toilets out in the open and use their bare
hand to clean their azz after they finish.

By the way, if you want to know the correct way to finger
your azz, you can ask Fareed Zakaria, he's an expert.
July 22, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
JBB

... and the "sacred" rats.
July 22, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
Manoj Kumar

Even with functioning at 25% efficiency, and little FDI,
India can cause so much acid reflux in this column's readers. Poor
souls. Try Zantac.
July 23, 2011 at 2:16 am |
Jdg

Maersk is a Chinese propagandist. You can tell he is here
kissing the CCP's balloon knot on every article about China.
July 23, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
Jimmy John

This FriendsofIndia guy is clearly a troll paki or CCP
chinaman propaganda writer. The post is clearly making fun of India
when unnecessary in an article that has nothing to do with INDIA. Its
not even written by Fareed who is not Indian, but American (since he
refers to himself as American not Indian). Can't believe you fools are
assuming this FriendsofIndia guy is Indian.
July 24, 2011 at 3:43 am |
wfgwq

good one :-)
July 24, 2011 at 4:12 am |
Maersk

I clean my hands with my tongue after wiping my a$s, so I
was just pointing out some facts.
July 24, 2011 at 9:48 am |
Derek

I love the comments made by all who have never ever gone
outside thier state they live in, forget going abroad!!

I am from the US. I know MOST of the people here have no
money to eat, forget anything else. They live off credit for those
people who find it hard to even payback OR those that live off the
dole out money. I have seen the filthy houses they live in, thrashed
out everywhere, have no food on the table . To makeup the hunger, they
eat cheap foods aka Junk foods and have become obese. The rst of the
world.. do not be fooled by the lifestyle of the people here. example
the great Trump, whgo trumpets around in his lifestyle but he is broke
and filed for bankruptcy or the houswives of NJ, living in milion
dollar mansion but have debts over 10 million. You think they will
vere pay back, Never, MY foot!!

In India, you cannot buy anything without money. To eat,
live or buy you require money. Most or all have Savings account not
even for them but for the next three generations to come. The may live
a normal ordinary life but never in DEBT! that's the beauty of living.
I would say that applies to all of Asia too!!

Have you gone to a Mall recently to buy something? Most of
the people here come for free heat or A/C, but come with empty
pockets. Who are the actual customers? it's the Asians who keep the
economy going.

Remember, over the last 30000 years back where records are
available, there were only two countries in the world then and they
still exist now. That is China & India. many came into existence and
died inermittently. Even Alexander the Great nor Napolean were able to
achieve thier dreams. Just getting the readers educated as most of
them have not even passed high school.or some passed after the bars
were lowered!!
July 24, 2011 at 11:38 am |
The 6th sense

I think there's a reason why India isn't mentioned in this
article or most conversations involving super powers.
July 24, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
max

and the cool thing is, India figured all this stuff out all by
themselves! YES! YES! I WILL bow to the multi trunked, 18 armed god of
the medulla oblongata! Give me a hamburger made of cow this instant!
July 22, 2011 at 11:44 am | Reply
Jimmy John

This FriendsofIndia guy is clearly a troll paki or CCP
chinaman propaganda writer. The post is clearly making fun of India
when unnecessary in an article that has nothing to do with INDIA. Its
not even written by Fareed who is not Indian, but American (since he
refers to himself as American not Indian). Can't believe you fools are
assuming this FriendsofIndia guy is Indian.

Stupid PAKIS and stupid CCP brainwashed Chinamen need to
learn to do something else other than insult India all the time.
July 24, 2011 at 3:45 am |
lachman

max you are an asshold
July 24, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
tc

Max-what a dumkopf
July 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
JCQueipo

What is an asshold ???
July 25, 2011 at 8:31 am |
Mario

And yet India is home to over 40% of homeless people in the
world
July 22, 2011 at 11:57 am | Reply
Irony

f-k now I'm confused....
July 22, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
Burong

You do not know your math or you would not come to this
conclusion. Go back and start counting your 1,2,3.....
July 22, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
Derek

Just look under the bridge in NYC or any city ?? or maybe
they cover themselves with cardboard boxes?

Have you been to shanty shelters around any block in your
city??
July 24, 2011 at 11:44 am |
easy4u

Republicans will have the US looking exactly like India in
no time at all.
July 24, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
FrauSchmitd

Sorry. been to India and China. BRIC: India is not even close
to China's progress.
July 22, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Reply
Joe

Indeed, but remember India started economic liberalization
in 1992 and not 1978 like China. Both countries have similar growth
rate now, but India is a decade behind China. On the plus side, India
has a stable multi-party democracy and China does not, and India's
economic growth is in services rather than in manufacturing like
China.
July 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
mgunn

Your statement attributes differences to timing. There may
be more than that. The WHO credited Brasil and China with the greatest
poverty and illiteracy reduction in the past 10 yrs. I surmise the
trend has been gradual improvement for china. India in some ways went
in the other direction, in the past 10 yrs the WHO said more people
went into poverty. Also, India has a caste system making social
mobility extremely difficult.
July 22, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
Jdg

India made her own progress. China is an immitator, and a
fraud.
July 23, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
ChinaGuy

China was ranked 3rd in patent filings based on 2008 data.
India was nowhere in the list.

What imitator or fraud you talked about? India fits better
to the profile you described.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_patents#Top_20_countries_in_2010
July 24, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
Yash Kumar

China rocks! its way more developed in its economy than
India!
July 24, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
Yash Kumar

I think that India should serously care more about their
people, which is why China and America are so much more advanced than
India.
July 24, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
ChinaTeacher

I teach in China and went to India last year. I much
prefer India.

China is good at infrastructure but is not friendly. The
education system is way behind. The prosperity is only for 20% of the
population. No doubt the Tortiose.

India is friendly and they are teaching their children to
think. Definitely the Hare.
July 25, 2011 at 12:22 am |
RM

All this might to scare away a few pirates??? Ha Ha HA!!! Go
chill out with a glass of fermented cow urine (your national beverage
of choice) and then kiss the Chinese back.
July 22, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Reply
Burong

You do not sound civilized! Why is that so? Slow to hop on
the wagon?
July 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
Derek

Americans drink Beer and never anything else. Round the
world, they have a name for them and it's PANZIES!. it's reserved for
them.

Real men drink Whisky!!
July 24, 2011 at 11:48 am |
josh

can we all just get along!
July 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
lee S

You forgot the worlds largest river of poo
July 22, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Reply
crow

now thats funny
July 24, 2011 at 11:34 am |
Xman

Uhm, the latest figures for India puts it at one seriously
impoverished country. There may be gains in economy, but there are
still so many poor Indians it will never really "shine" as you say it
will until it takes care of that problem first. Most of the country is
slum-like and awful.
July 22, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Reply
Rob

you've obviously never been to india. most of the country
is not "slum-like" or "awful". india is a beautiful country. reports
of poverty in india by western media are grossly exaggerated to
downplay the progress india has made.
July 24, 2011 at 8:38 am |
lachman

Xman you are an ugly chinese
July 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
keni b brej

i agree with u, most developed world tend to undermine the
progress of the developing world, by means of propaganda which is very
unhealthy, Africa is seen by them as a country with states namely
South Africa, Nigeria, Ghana, Egypt, etc what a shame that it should
be persived so. Point of correction South Africa is a Country on its
own same goes to Nigeria, Egypt, Ghana, etc
This countries are not infested with desease like they are
painted, most times news about Africa is Famine in Ethiopia or war in
Sudan,etc why cant u guys for once praise the strives of these people
who are been exploited everyday. The world cup 2010 was held in South
Africa to make a difference, you can actually have a wonderful time in
Africa for her hospitality and freedom. Africa will surely
rise!!!!!!!!
July 25, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
Jdg

dude is obviously a chinese troll. As are many othets posting
here.

And LMAO at the chinese who say they own the USA. It's all
there for you to see.
July 22, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Reply
Maersk

You must be another world famous slumdog whose expertise
is in fingering azz with your bare hand.
July 22, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
mgunn

not sure he's any more of a troll than u or anyone else,
and if he was i'd think pakistani. BTW – i don't hear anything from
the chinese saying they own us... but I do hear it a lot from
ourselves, this fear is all internally derived.
July 22, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
Jdg

Nope, the people saying "China owns us" are Chinese posing
as Americans. They're trying to brainwash us but they're really bad at
math.
July 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
Maersk

Haha...just kidding. I know all about slumdogs, because I
used to be one. I still like to finger my anus and then lick my
fingers.
July 24, 2011 at 9:51 am |
marc gunn

Doubt. This article is written for the very reason that
many Americans feel china owns us when they don't. This article was
not written in reaction in belief of phantom trolls (which is the same
kind of paranoia as them owning us)... and to think their trolls
bother to post here IN SUPPORT of our common misperceptions is silly.
(If anything they probably post in their own nation to sway domestic
opinion which is far more important, just like us since when do we
care what foreigners think)
July 24, 2011 at 10:23 am |
John

Arrogant enough to make you Sikh.
July 22, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Reply
hawaiiduude

actually the "federal reserve" (nothing federal about it
though) owns and controls the most of our national debt and that group
is comprised of private bankers from mostly israeli and european
backgrounds.
July 22, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Reply
Dave

And you got that from where? I checked your source and
143% of his statistics were made up.
July 22, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
jack h

it is true the most of the debt is owned by the federel
reserve bank that is controled by foreign owned jewish/zionist central
banks in europe.
July 22, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
Richard Otier

Most of our national debt is owned domestically by Social
Security, US investment funds, and US cities, counties and states. US
Treasury also owns a large amount. About 30% is foreign owned.
July 24, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
sincity702

They are european..try the Rothschild family you dopes!
July 24, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
Not Fareed

What does Fareed have to do with this article? He didn't write
it!
July 22, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Reply
Maersk

The slumdog just assumed that this article was written by
Fareed
July 22, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
Al Maghrib

and despite of all these achievements (don't know how many of
these are real) you low lifers worship animals.

India will only dream of glory. Glory is never conferred upon
idolators, racists and perverts. Here's another list of India's
achievements which you conveniently overlokked:

1. Contry with the highest incidents of HIV positive and AIDs
cases = India
2. Asian Country with the greatest disparity of wealth between
haves and have nots = India
3. Country with highest concentrations of slums close to urban
areas = India
4. Country where caste system is still strictly practiced and
enforced = India
5. Country where minorities are routinely harassed and their
places of worship demolished or despoiled = India
6. Country who's looking into space and high tech. while a
huge chunk of its population remains malnurished and resorts to eating
rats = India
7. Country with the highest number of cessationist movements =
India
8. Among the countries with worst record of human rights
abuses in places like Kashmir, Assam and Punjab = India
and the list goes on ....
July 22, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Reply
blue j in cali

worship animals? srsly get ur head out of ur A$$ plz.
July 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
Burong

They not only worship animals, but they act like animals
themselves.
July 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
Burong

Can you complete the lsit, please?
July 22, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
Wise guy

..and where are you from? Saudi Arabia?.. And thats better
than India. Well good 4u
July 23, 2011 at 1:42 am |
progress

Moron....keep making up the figures and killing each other
in the name of so called religion......u r like the Ostrich who wud
dig its head into the mud and think the world is like they think it
is....ha ha....no matter how much u write wrong about India , the fact
is that u urself belong to the medieval rituals where in one has to
kill others to survive...pity that people like u now have access to
internet but that still does not change ur views about the world and
the progress....
July 23, 2011 at 4:02 am |
wfgwq

STFU , by the way are you arab??
July 24, 2011 at 4:15 am |
tc

Al – another pig dog
July 24, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
Black Banners of Khorasaan

This is a straight insult to the life, liberty and structure
of living for the US Citizens. There are people who are law abiding
citizens and they work hard for their truthful living. You expect them
to be owned by someone else? They can understand the strategic
connection between and the support for ISRAEL and most feel like the
majority of the ownership for the United States is held by Israel.

However, that does not give rights to anyone to state that my
property belongs to someone else. I'd like to see that. I own my
property and I am 100% owner of my part of United States of America.
July 22, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Reply
S1N

You need to learn reading comprehension, my mildly
retarded friend. No one said that anyone owns a percentage of your
personal property. You are an idiot for making this nonexistent
connection. The table merely shows who owns the federal debt. In other
words, of the nearly 14.3 trillion dollars in federal debt, x% is held
by the party listed on that line. They are the government's creditors,
not a lien holder on your private property.

On a side note, you are living proof of what is wrong with
public education. As for your statement that you have sole ownership
of your part of the U.S., think again. If the government really wanted
your property for something they deemed necessary, that can take it
from you whether or not you like their cash offer. It's called
"imminent domain". Very few property owners ever win such cases when
they are disputed.
July 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm |

Actually, it's called "eminent domain." Subtle, but
important distinction...
July 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
Ian

You only have one aircraft carrier, and its a refitted Russian
carrier. Nice try.
July 22, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Reply
sam

I think this message was posted by "Enemies of India". The
comment was to invoke negative messages about India – most probably by
a Pakistani...
July 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Reply
ronny

I agree.
July 22, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
am

gosh... u and ur obsession with pakistan!
July 24, 2011 at 5:09 am |
Eric

India a super duper power and greatest democracy?!?!?!?!?!?!?
ahahahhahahhahahah!!!!!!!! You people still practice slavery for
crying out loud!!!!!!!! India can't touch China.
July 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Reply
vg

u r right. India can not touch China in it's top hand to
beg, make faulty products and be the cold killers of the mankind!
July 22, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
S1N

@vg – India also can't top China in terms of military,
political, or economic influence.
July 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
Manoj Kumar

India doesn't want to touch any inappropriate place.
July 23, 2011 at 2:19 am |
DD

India is a civilized democratic country than America. In
US, there is slavery which continues against black.....also racism....
July 24, 2011 at 9:14 am |
Greg

Don't EVER underestimate India. They ARE on the move! As
an American I can say I do believe THEY will outlive and surpass the
U.S. in almost all aspects. They may still have many characteristics
that are not pretty. But is there such thing as a perfect marriage?
They do still strongly believe in many morals and values we ourselves
gave up long ago. I think they care for and regard one another much
higher than Americans. Americans can't wait to screw their neighbor
and his wife for their own satisfaction. I am disgusted with what I
see, feel and live here as an American. What? If I don't like it then
leave? Don't worry, I'm working on it. Hoping to get out of dodge
before our self destruction is in full swing.
July 24, 2011 at 10:31 am |
PEACELOVER

Well, I am from India too. Majority of the facts you have
mentioned are not correct like those of the longest bridge, largest
airport, etc. Get your stats and facts right ! Well, it might be true
too that US doesn't owe anything to India or might be of negligible
amounts or may be even clearing up each other accounts by mutual
payments, etc. And for the rest, Cow urine used to be an ancient
practice and its believed to be used as herbal medicine. We don't eat
cows coz that's in our religion as its same as equivalent to eating
your mother. We regard cow as mother only because she gives you her
milk to drink after your mother stopped giving you milk to drink ! So,
a living being giving you milk to drink for rest of your life and
asking for nothing in return, that's how you payback ?!?! Ever thought
of making a steak or burger from your mother ?!?! Could you ?!?!
Ofcourse not, so stop making fun of other religions, we have no rights
to insult other religions. Respect each other belief ! Talking about
the poor, Give me a name of 1 nation who doesn't have poor people ???
Every nation has poor, middle class and rich ! Did you know US has
every year over 3.5 million homeless people added to the list list of
homeless and out of which 3% of those have HIV/AIDS. But yes, there
are differences between US and India which is simply because US is a
developed nation And India is developing. Also, China is ahead of
India in the league of BRICS.
Peace ~
July 22, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Reply
PEACELOVER

Additionally, There are high chances since those facts
have been put by friendsofindia are JUST to evoke hatred and racism.
He doesn't seem to be an Indian person. As all the facts he has
mentioned are not true, as any Indian might have known the true facts.
He's more likely to be an Indian in disguise > probably a PAKI ROT !
These ppl have doing doing plenty of these kinda disguised hatred
towards India, Indians all over the CNN.
July 22, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
Greg Kells

He is almost certainly a Pakistani that is upset with the
US for withdrawing military and financial aid while establishing a
closer relationship with India. India still has some work to do, but
it's clear that you are on the right path.
July 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
Arvind

This "FriendsofIndia" guy cannot be an Indian. As an
Indian, I have to agree with PeaceLover, we are a developing country
and the facts presented by "FriendsofIndia" are not true. He is just a
disgusting poster who is trying to evoke hatred towards Indians.
Please ignore his ridiculous post. If he is a Pakistani, which I
believe he is, I don't have to say anything about his country, because
the whole world knows about it.
July 22, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
blue j in cali

or perhaps he was born under a bridge AKA Troll
July 22, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
Ram

Who are you dude to speak for all Indians? Muslims and
Christians and many Hindus eat beef in India. Only some
ultra-conservative Hindus still think that cow is like a mother. What
a stupid argument! Eat whatever you want... pork, cow, vegetables...
who cares! And even if the guy who posted it originally is a
Pakistani, why call him Paki? Isn't that racist? BTW, Indians and
Pakistanis are both in the same boat when it comes to poverty. Do not
try to earn brownie points by saying Indian poverty is better than
Pakistani poverty!
July 22, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
revolutionary

lol how the hell you going to comparea a cow with your
mother. anybody that believe in animals being god's are as stupid as
those that believe in god's. im atheist, so hell with all this.. .
July 24, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
sunil

u are really stupid!
Indian or Paki in disguise?
July 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Reply
iPaki

Did it occur to you that FriendsofIndia might be an
American or Arab or some other nationality? Or maybe you are just high
on cow-cola.
July 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
ronny

It must be a Chinese urine drinking, Arab faeces eating
Paki.
July 22, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
vg

Awesome sum up man!
July 22, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Reply
rad7

@FriendsofIndia: Nice try there masquerading like an Indian.
Do Pakistanis like you have to stoop so low to instigate comments
against India. Why do Pakis hate Fareed Zakaria so much? Just bcoz he
is muslim, do u expect him to support your terrorist friends?

Well, nice to see Paki muslims selling their soul & posting
here as Hindus & Americans. May be this is what their religion has
taught them – to lie ("taqiyya" anyone?) & may be they are ready to
sell their mothers & sisters if need arises. They might post all
dubious facts about India under an article tht is not even related to
India or written by Fareed Zakaria (whom they hate).

But the truth is that in real world they are hated by every
country in the west. In real world, they shamelessly pose as Indians
(as reported by Reuters) so that they are not hated by everyone (
link: goo . gl / hq0iI) , but under these forums they masquerade as
Indians, Hindus & Americans & post fraudulent facts about India that
have their origin only in Paki hate sites. Seriously, are there more
shameless creatures on the surface of the earth?
July 22, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Reply
rad7

Google the Reuters article "Pakistanis pose as Indians" to
see how shameless these creatures are!
July 22, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
Ram

Please be respectful to others. You have no right to talk
about someone's mother or sister... Why hit below the belt?
If you think it was a Pakistani who posted that while
pretending to be an Indian, just say so and leave it there. You cannot
prove that he is Pakistani, can you? And isn't it true that there are
millions of illiterate and under-educated people in BOTH India and
Pakistan who think exactly like what he said?
July 22, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
SS

Of course they stoop low, they aren't at your level. I see
these comments against Indians all the time and the majority are Pakis
like this phuckstick . It's the most foul nation on earth, that
follows the most foul religion on earth. Doesn't matter, they're
backwards, their government has been overthrown three times in less
than sixty years. Pakistan is joke nation, Iraq is more stable than
these losers.
July 24, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
Mark Franks

But can you afford or even manage to fight 2 wars at the same
time and STILL make that claim? Nope. :)
July 22, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Reply
palintwit

India reminds me of the Palins. A stinking, filthy, putrid
pile of phucking trash.
July 22, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Reply
brown

ummm ... India needs to figure out how to keep the lights on.
July 22, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Reply
John Debba

I'll be impressed with India when they learn to make matches.
Person would be lucky if you can get 1 out every 5 match to light. I'm
scratching my head trying to figure out how in hell they managed to
build an atomic bomb.
July 22, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Reply
wilton

People.....when it gets down to it we have the best weapons by
far and are the only country to have "global projection". One Trident
2 submarine can literally kill a continent. We own the GPS system. It
is ours. America ROCKS!
July 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Reply
PETER

Time to move back to India ...
July 22, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Reply
bud

Bud, Lets smoke some more of what you have been smoking.
July 22, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Reply
Ram

I'm an Indian but am disgusted by what this so called
"FriendsofIndia" has written! His arguments, logic, facts, and grammar
are all perverted. After more than 60 years of independence India is
still struggling to feed and clothe its people, and provide education,
housing and healthcare to the teeming millions. Widespread corruption
eats away the major portion of government spending and social security
is non-existent. While India has certainly made a lot of progress in
many areas it is all really a drop in the ocean. If you are an Indian
the only time you can truly be proud of it is when her people have
education, housing, electricity, drinking water (and yes, toilets!),
healthcare and dignity of life. Not when Tata buys JLR or Tetly!
Unfortunately a large population also means a large number of idiots,
who even get to read CNN.com and post stupid comments.
July 22, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Reply
John Gordon

This information about mighty India sounds impressive – unless
you've been to India and seen the reality of the situation. The
airport in New Delhi is complete and total chaos, as is everything
else on the Sub-Continent.
July 22, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Reply
Deng's Cat

Indians can claim and over-claim many things. But there's one
thing India has not got, a language of her own, that Indians can use
within and outside India. Could Indians be proud with Hinglish as her
national and official language?
Of course, you have Hindi and some more, but Indians seem to
despise thier own languages.
July 22, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Reply
Sudhir

Do you even know what you are saying Deng's Cat because
you speak without knowledge.

English and Hindi are actually related they belong to the
Indo-European group of , in fact all European languages and most north
Indian Languages belong to the same family. They share a common
ancestor because the people who now live in Northern India and the
people who now live in Europe were driven by climate change 4-5000
years ago from the steppes of Russia to Europe and India, in fact the
precursor to Hindi is Sanskrit. Latin and Sanskrit shared a lot of
similar words because they existed at the same time and are related.
This is why some words that occur in French, English and German and in
Hindi are the same.
July 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
Sudhir

FriendsOfIndia who elected you to make such remarks? First we
Indians have to walk before we can run and even when we do eventually
run I hope you have the humility to not make a braggart's remarks and
speak for me and the rest of us who are Indian and nothing like you.

A successful country or person doesn't need to shout to the
world about it ... as doing that is quite vulgar.
July 22, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Reply
Deng's Cat

To Sudhir, yes you have more knowledge than I. You say
Hindi is related to English, so Indians can drop Hindi and opt for
English. Following your logic and argument, Americans can throw away
English and opt for German, Spanish or French as all European
languages are related.
July 22, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
Jeremy Breazzano

As an American I used to favor India as they tended to be more
western-minded and Indian leaders certainly could speak eloquently and
tell a convincing story. But in the past few years it became apparent
to me that Indians do that and nothing more than that – talk. The
emprical evidence seems repeatedly favor China. China has been
delivering results time after time, rather than endless promises and
political bickering from India.
July 22, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Reply
Burong

Nobody thought that China owns America. Huge numbers of
Chinese are living without toilets and running water today. I hope the
RICH clean up the mess in China instead of buying $2m dogs.
July 22, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Reply
Andrew

Ill just point out one thing about that rant....India
currently has exactly 1 carrier in service...and its hardly a super
carrier (carrying approximately 1/3 as many aircraft as the US
nimitz-class and being less than 1/4 the size...its designated as a
light fleet carrier.. it also is the last of its class in service
anywhere...obsolete anyone?)...its a converted British carrier
(centaur-class) commissioned in 1959...and transferred to India in
1987...3 years after it exceeded its initial estimated service life of
25 years...India is currently building one of its own carriers
(vikrant-class) and it should be operational within a year...they also
bought a russian carrier that is expected to enter service in 2 or 3
years
July 22, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Reply
A-Man

This "FriendsofIndia" guy is either Paki or Chinese pretending
to be an Indian. There is no way this guy is Indian. Get a life
dude...
July 22, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Reply
Gutgu

That guy is 100% Indian. Only Indian brag about TaTa's
100% debt financed purchase of British companies. Nobody else cares,
just another LBO.
July 23, 2011 at 6:24 am |
SS

Definitely a Paki. internet comments are their sole source
of self esteem given the crap hole country and culture they have to
live with, really sad actually but no pity for those creeps.
July 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
Zain

Hey porkistani watch out for the US drone might bomb your
Mama's a**
July 22, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Reply
JT

Dude don't give them the heads up, let him croak along
with all his other brethren who follow that pedophile bedouin prophet
of theirs.
July 24, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
Indian

Stop smoking pot fool! I have lived in India for more than a
decade and I can describe the country in two words 'trash can.' Every
street in India is full of fecal matter, trash and mosquitoes. Do you
know that drinking water gets mixed with fecal matter during monsoon
season in most cities? Most projects you talk about are accomplished
by companies with foreign collaboration. The IT industry is all about
back office work (not a single product that shows innovation). Hell,
India can't even beat terrorists. These terrorists who walk into India
from Puki land kill innocents like some firing range practice. The
infrastructure you are so proud of was built in US couple decades
back. Oh wait, India is still building its first fighter aircraft.
Now, when was the first fighter aircraft developed by US???? It is so
far back that I can't even recollect.

With $1.7 trillion economy, India is atleast 25 years behind
US. Superpower might just remain a wet dream if all India wants to do
is produce cheap products and every kid on the block wants to do MBA.
Do some R & D. China & US are way way ahead on patents. Get some life
fool!
July 22, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Reply
Gutgu

Indians are the world's worst computer programmers.
Russians are the best.
July 23, 2011 at 6:31 am |
Rob

Obviously you have not lived in India and you are just
another racist troll who is making stuff up. I have lived in india my
whole life and I know this as a fact. Ignore this guy.
July 24, 2011 at 8:45 am |
rusty pudder

your green revolution will flat line and you will all starve
to death. theres only so much fertilizer and water in your aquifers
and you drained them beyond repair and its unsustainable. your the
next ethiopia
July 22, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Reply
Beel

You idiots killed all your tigers...nice going...
July 22, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Reply
trollalert

I cannot believe so many of fell for this obvious effort to
annoy by this troll. People are really gullible.
July 22, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Reply
guy

indians look like poop...and smell like it too
seriously, WORST. BO. EVER
=D
July 22, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Reply
Mike

India is just an immense SLUM. Over a million people drink out
of the sour. SOUR! they drink that "blue water". The population dump
corpses on their main river in New Dehli, including people. Animals,
people and you can also people EVACUATING along the river which cross
the city. Immense inequality, cast society, tens of tens of different
languages, inflation and inexistent infra-structure. The islands of
prosperity just can't promote growth for long with such mess. And we
still have to hear Zacharia talking: "India this, india that..." who
do you guys think you fool? India is maybe the most disgusting nation
of the globe, except the worse in africa...a couple nations there....
July 22, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Reply
Rob

Have you even been to India? clearly not. India is not a
huge disgusting slum as you portray it. If you actually came over and
saw all the great cities and beautiful parts of the country you would
change your opinion, but until you have, stop badmouthing a place you
know nothing about.
July 24, 2011 at 8:47 am |
Tim Kernel

My friend was recently in India for 3 months to train
their progarmmers. He told me that that whole country is like a trash
can and he would never go there again!!
July 24, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
fritzzz

Don't forget toilets. India needs at least 900,000,000
toilets.
July 23, 2011 at 12:16 am | Reply
Manoj Kumar

Hey. this is ditto word-by-word what last week the ISI
propoagandists telecast on Pak State TV to scare the hell out of
Pakistanis in order to defend their 95% military budget.

wondering how come some FriendofIndia came across this crap?

Even with functioning at 25% internal efficiency, and 10% FDI
of China, India is the 2nd fastest growing economy. Why on earth will
it invest in the US economy? Leave China to sink or swim with the US.
India is better off investing on its own people.
July 23, 2011 at 2:39 am | Reply
Gladiator

You conveniently forgot to mention that 40% of the population
are born, raised , get married, and die on your filthy streets
July 23, 2011 at 2:50 am | Reply
rtrMicky

So what do want, a Dilly Bar? As far as I am concerned the U.S
does not need to be #1 in everything around the world. That's what has
gotten us into the mess we are in. What we need to do is eliminate the
amount we owe foreign countries and concentrate on what is truly
important to the people of the U.S. Being #1 in who did what is not
it. The foreign debt and the dependence on oil are major National
security issues. The rest is just rhetoric for the fool.
July 23, 2011 at 3:09 am | Reply
SomeDude

Well, who cares about India? No one talks about India.
India is trying so hard to be noticed, but the world always
ignore India
"Shadow of China"
July 23, 2011 at 5:13 am | Reply
peakarach

India has a looooooooooooooong way to go but it can call
itself a superpower of any kind.
July 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Reply
jm

lol. I love India. India is a great nation and it will be
years to come. I am not sure why India is not up there as an investor
to the US. I like to see India to be very successful b/c it will show
that a population over 1B can be successfully governed by a democratic
government unlike its neighbor to the north. I really wish US starts
to trade more with India.
July 23, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Reply
Jimmy John

This FriendsofIndia guy is clearly a troll paki or CCP
chinaman propaganda writer. The post is clearly making fun of India
when unnecessary in an article that has nothing to do with INDIA.
Can't believe you fools are assuming this guy is Indian.
July 24, 2011 at 3:39 am | Reply
Jimmy John

This FriendsofIndia guy is clearly a troll paki or CCP
chinaman propaganda writer. The post is clearly making fun of India
when unnecessary in an article that has nothing to do with INDIA. Its
not even written by Fareed who is not Indian, but American (since he
refers to himself as American not Indian). Can't believe you fools are
assuming this FriendsofIndia guy is Indian.

Stupid PAKIS and stupid CCP brainwashed Chinamen need to learn
to do something else other than insult India all the time. Seriously.
July 24, 2011 at 3:47 am | Reply
am

ok, lets assume this FriendofIndia is a paki troll, or a
CCP from china, what about the rest of the posts on this page? ppl
speaking the truth are paki trolls and chinamen, whereas the rest are
indians?

face it... noboby likes ur slumdog nation. and u can do
nothing abt it. chill, have a cow-cola!
July 24, 2011 at 5:26 am |
FeiYe

China is a developing country,American is the biggest country
in the world.
please do not think China is stronger.
July 24, 2011 at 7:48 am | Reply
Duke

Shutup towel head.
July 24, 2011 at 9:24 am | Reply
Indiaademocracy?

India a democracy? Are you kidding me? India is a
dictatorship. Are you trying to fool the world? Did you forget what
happened recently with the India Guru Ramdev's movement against
corruption?

Only if Indians knew the difference between Growth and
Inflation!
July 24, 2011 at 11:17 am | Reply
joe

And MILLIONS live in absolute squalor in India, even in the
cities. Mumbai, a 5 star Hilton hotel across the street from the
airport. And adjacent to it, a valley of makeshift slum villages where
people sleep on dirt. How can FriendsofIndia claim life is so great
and India such a power, when their people live like animals?
July 24, 2011 at 11:19 am | Reply
RP

You are either a Paki or a Muslim who hates India.
July 24, 2011 at 11:55 am | Reply
rollins

And yet you guys all smell funny!? whats up with that? buy
some armpit sticks!! its a couple bucks at the dollar store!
July 24, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Reply
rollins

oh yeah i almost forgot, you guys are the largest racists
people in the world! and the worst because you even hate on your own
people!
July 24, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
Justice

Wow buddy, narrow sighted much? I hope everyone in India is
not as ignorant as you. There are other things going on in the world
you know
July 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Reply
Elizabeth

The dollar amounts say nothing. Population explosions say
everything.
India, for political reasons, is having a population
explosion, so it will suffer in the long run.
China is lowering its population, if fast enough, it may
survive.
America panders to people with lots of children, although
others do not have children, it is mainly suffering from population
problems.
However, if America just goes the way of Canada, only paying
back its own citizens, then America's recession will only last a few
years, and then we will again regain the number one position in the
world. But it will take a concerted effort to throw off the
multi-national corporations, the trade imbalances, the foreigners
siphoning off of us, and tax the rich out of this country. I would say
good riddance. We are supposedly a democracy in America, and we can
invent a new monetary system; goodbye to the private bank-owned
dollar.
July 24, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Reply
lachman

FriendsofIndia, first of all this article was written by Tom
Mucha of Global Post and not by Fareed, secondly I agree with your
article completely, but inspite of Indi a's accomplishments today,
Indians have to be humble according to Gandhi's legacy, because in
humbleness you rise more and more, but remember in prideness comes
downfall sooner or later, had Fareed written this article he would
have definitely mentioned India.
July 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Reply
SS

Paki troll.
July 24, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Reply
coach John

but your slums are still worse than any in the US
July 24, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Reply
Flyover

It's such a wonderful country, shame about its decrepit
infrastructure (road, rail, air), sporadic power outages, pervasive
corruption from top to bottom. Oh, did I mention that vast majority of
its citizens are in severe poverty.
India has quite a bit more to go before claiming outright
greatness.
July 24, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Reply
S.G.

First, I am from India... and I love my country with every
fiber in my heart. Second, I like to read a few reactions in comments
section in news articles, but I have myself never posted one before
anywhere. But I don't know why, I just cannot resist replying to your
post today.
As I see MY India, I have no ambition for India to become any
freaking superpower. I only wish for India to play its part in
building a better world for itself and everybody else. And who the
hell am I to have anything against China, Pakistan, US or any other
country, for the truth is that it is only a few, and they are on every
side, who are misguided and will do wrong. Most people everywhere are
just fighting for that same thing – some little freaking happiness.
If I read your post closely, I realize that you have something
against India and are writing only to spread hatred against my country
for some reason. You may also believe that you are doing some great
service to your own country, but go and ask that hungry man in your
own country who is fighting to feed his family just one more day and
he will tell you that you have done no service except spread more
bloody hatred. Sir/ Mam, please use all that motivation in you to make
some freaking positive difference in somebody's life somewhere out
there. And, while you are at it please get some more sleep at night
instead of posting such comments and let me get some sleep as well!!
Thanks n TC!
July 24, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Reply
indian

people please dont listen to this idiot. he is just a jealous
and desperate pakistani troll trying to make indians look bad. i am
definitely proud of the humble progress india has made but we are
nowhere close to the developed world. millions of indians still live
under poverty line and in slums and india is still on the lists of
diseases and whatnot. i hate china but i have to admit they are
atleast 25 to 30 yrs ahead of us. if anybody thinks India can stand
upto the west(they can in lot fo ways but not many) just open your
eyes and look around your neighborhood and look at the standard of
living in the west and US. its sad but indians will not have those
standards in another 100 yrs.
July 24, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Reply
Ravi

You are clearly making a mockery, by inviting people to take
shots at India
July 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Reply
wasserball

You're not Indian, are you?
July 24, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Reply
ChinaGuy

China is one of the top 3 international tourism destinations
in 2010 and soon will be surpassing the United States. China cannot be
the bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings
July 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Reply
neal

Most of India still have no flushing toilets, a fact the
Indian government has been trying to hide for years.
July 24, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Reply
UnlceSam

you guys just keep giving us your money and will keep
promising to pay it tomorrow suckers..... United States of America
RULES!
July 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Reply
UnlceSam

you guys just keep giving us your money and will keep
promising to pay it tomorrow suckers..... United States of America
RULES!...................
July 24, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Reply
The Buddha

Your arrogance astounds me.
July 24, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Reply
Mooooo

Ok, ok, ok,... indians just discovered the industrial
revolution... about time. Didn't Brits build the first rail roads in
india a 100 years ago.

Ok, I am hungry now and need to have a stake... ooops, I am
sorry it is your god I will be eating.
July 24, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Reply
Audrey Meridienne

I'll never understand why Indians are so proud when there
isn't a single good reason. Stinky ugly proud people that nobody
likes. The language and accent are among the most disliked too so they
lose there as well while it's an advantage for most foreigners. I
guess the more third world your country is, the more proud you become.

Truth is truth regardless of how much it hurts, I know that
this will get flamed by Indians, go watch your cricket game instead.
July 24, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Reply
bambam

O.K. I get it India is a new superpower but then why half of
India live in the U.S. That number may not be exact but it just seems
like it.
July 24, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Reply
Joe

You were a colony once and you will be a colony again, after
you duke it out with Pakistan and annihilate each other's cities.
Foolishness all around.
I prefer not do do business with indians.
July 25, 2011 at 4:22 am | Reply
Bart Simpson

Don't have a cow man!

You're nothing without the civilized world keeping you in
check. If it weren't for US you'd have nuked yourselves & the region
into oblivion twice because of your idiotic religious beliefs.

Cows are sarced...OMg make me laff till I pee myself.

And the only reason India has any knowledge or wealth is
because the US lets you work here under the H1.-B visa program & by
our god we're going to end that & send you all back to your crummy
little slums to rot & die of cholera or some such horror.
July 25, 2011 at 4:30 am | Reply
juskishi

Derek

you talk about educating americans yet your grammar and
spelling needs work itself. go F yourself you piece of garbage.
July 25, 2011 at 7:40 am | Reply
ObamaBinBadagin

Just don't shake their hand – they crap in the street and wipe
with their hands.
July 25, 2011 at 8:52 am | Reply
Reality

Really? India a superpower?
Stop it.
I just came back from that mud whole and it is a mess.
The people are living in mud and sleeping in their urine on
the streets.
Sure they have a couple of big companies, but then they waste
all of the money that they make and fail to reinvest it back into
their country and infrastructure.
India could be a superpower, but right now it's a large
country with a lot of wasted resources that is trying to push a
"superpower" propaganda on the world instead of actually changing
itself from within.
July 25, 2011 at 8:55 am | Reply
Viloty

India is doing OK. However, it needs to clean up all those
nasty monkeys from the streets and also keep people from smelting lead
and other metals in their cook ware. India also has a class of people
that are thought of as being complete trash and you sir call India a
great nation?
July 25, 2011 at 8:58 am | Reply
caligula

After reading this, I have just fired both my Indian
programmers this morning.
July 25, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Reply
j. von hettlingen

I have done my MATHS and come to the conclusion that foreign
creditors still hold over 55% of America's debts. None alone is in the
position to do any harm, but concerted action could cause problems.
July 21, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Reply
Jdg

Your math is wrong. See the above list. And most countries
hate chinas.
July 22, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Reply
Taiwanguy

I can not see one single reason why "most countries hate
China". Mind enlight me?
July 22, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
Burong

You are some kind of smart ass. Just because you hate
China does not mean that other countries feel the same way as you
stupid idiot.
July 22, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
Jacob

Polls have shown that the US is the third most hated
country in the world after Iran and Israel, so it looks like your
claim that the whole world hates China is incorrect.
July 22, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
Elizabeth

This math does not take into account enough factors in its
equations. Population is the whole reason for the recessions. In my
childhood, in the east coast, there were farms that fed the cities.
Now it is one big city from west Connecticut down to Washington D.C.,
with less and less farmland. So we import, and suddenly it isn't just
"foreign oil" that is causing a monetary crisis, but foreign
everything. That is all caused by population, folks. These countries
should be ranked by their poverty, education, and population problems;
America still would not look good, but at least we would see what is
eating away at our economy.
July 24, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
ChinaGuy

China is one of the top 3 international tourism
destinations in 2010 and soon could be number two.

I know you hate China but most people in the world don't
seem to feel the same way as you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings
July 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
fernace

That's so great, FriendsofIndia, that you have managed to pull off
those capitalistic feats. What I'm not hearing, though, is about your
people . In order to be a true world power you have to lift your
people out of poverty & starvation. Otherwise they serve as your
weakest link, & any builder knows you're only as strong as your
weakest link!
July 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Reply
Joe

Good job bro, you got trolled by the obvious troll. Almost all
of his facts were incorrect.
July 22, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Reply
Onesmallvoice

Of course China does not own America. The
MIC(military-industrial-complex) in Washington does that as anyone
with half a brain would know!!! That's the very reason that this
country's in such bad shape economically with our excessive and
unnecessary military spending and all these foreign aid givaways, not
to mention all these useless wars that we're engaged in!!!
July 21, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Reply
LetsFixIT

-- Certainly worth a 2nd READ Above!!
Here IS are some of tghe Numbers!! US Military Budget for 2011
BreakDown (high-level)
Defense-related expenditure 2011 Budget request & Mandatory
spending Calculation
DOD spending $721.3 billion Base budget + "Overseas
Contingency"
FBI counter-terrorism $2.7 billion At least one-third FBI
budget.
International Affairs $10.1–$54.2 billion At minimum, foreign
arms sales.
At most, entire State budget
Energy Department, defense-related $20.9 billion
Veterans Affairs $66.2 billion
Homeland Security $54.7 billion
NASA, satellites $3.4–$8.5 billion 20% and 50% of NASA's total
Veterans pensions $58.4 billion
Other defense-related $7.5 billion mandated expenditures
NOTE THIS
Interest on debt incurred in past wars $114.8–$454.2 billion
Between 23% and 91% of total USA interest
Total Spending $1.060–$1.449 trillion (US Govt. continues to
Rob Soc.Sec. to pay for Wars
=================== Only In Amerika – which is now an Empire!
==========================
July 22, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Reply
Bill Rich

You forgot to mention how much US gov spends on social
welfare/security/health/housing...
July 22, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
Mike

Have you ever thought that maybe there's a reason foreign
troops haven't ever set boots on the ground in America? Oh..... No....
That would require a brain huh........ Get your head out of your @$$
and realize that only paying for the old is no way to run a nation
which is supposed to be a superpower. It is however a great way to run
a nation full of lazy imbeciles.
July 25, 2011 at 8:46 am |
Percy

NASA does not launch military satellites – the military
does that. Google the National Reconnaissance Office. Your "half the
budget" is as made up as the rest of your figures.
July 25, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
JT

1965 called. They want their hippie back.
July 22, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Reply
Elizabeth

It's true that we spend on military and police, but that is
totally a part of the huge world population explosion, part of which
is going on in America. More people, more police. We don't even tell
kids in school that it might be a good idea to limit the size of their
families; that would be politically incorrect, and therefore our
cities become more crowded, more frustration, etc. And instead of
farming our own soil, we cover our soil with buildings, and pay for
foreign food. And then we also run out of space for industries, so we
buy foreign goods. America has a lot of space, but we are running out
because of our population. And that is the biggest problem, not
military, not police.
July 24, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Reply
FishOnTheMoon

The problem with some defense expenses is that they don't
seem to follow the same rational rules as other expenses. Like if they
can't analyse the cost-effectiveness when it comes to national
security. A good example would be the F135, but when people say we
should rethink if it's appropriate for the needs or say that they cost
way too much for what they'll offer, they are flagged as
anti-patriotic.
July 24, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
Greg Autry

1. The real problem here is the TREND. The debt is the collection
of the funding of many years of deficit. The trend is to MORE FOREIGN
AND MORE CHINESE OWNERSHIP.

2. It is a BIG PROBLEM if a substantial amount of debt is owned to
foreigners, concentrated or not because THE INTEREST PAID ON THE DEBT
TO FOREIGNERS IS A LEAKAGE. The money leaves the economy. Paying a
HIGHER RATE TO OURSELVES – all things being equal – is better, because
in that case there is no net loss to our economy.
July 21, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Reply
Elizabeth

We could do what Canada did in the 1970s: kick out all the
foreign-owned or foreign-involved multi-national corporations, put
huge trade tariffs (I always wondered why Canada was included in NAFTA
because of that), and tell anybody foreign who we owe money to that
their debt has been "nationalized" as the communist countries did;
then we wouldn't owe any of the foreign debt. Of course, they "claim"
that they hate us now, but they would hate us far more after that. But
America seems to always be afraid that people might hate us; at least
step one is to be more concerned with American interests, and not so
concerned with public image.
July 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Reply
GOPisGreedOverPeople

It really is.
July 21, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Reply
LetsFixIT

Hmmmm – I thought that is represented the - Gangof
ObstructionistPoliticians !!
July 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Reply
Elizabeth

Greedy old paltroons?
July 24, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Reply
[(S3kShuN8)]

disregard first reply (ESSENTIAL name change 42day)
July 21, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

...WHAT DO you see ?
July 21, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

last time I checked the "OLD_Glory" ; ~1.0~ ; she wore red white
and blue ; and was WAY too Young to be
P0Le_Dancing_|_\?/_|_/\_/\_||||||||||||||||||||~~~360*360~24 colors
PRESENT with Three Accounted FOR . . . [bye bye now, TTea]
NEWSFLASHforward: _HELP_DO_ur_Part_TO_ERADICATE_HUMAN_TRAFFICkING_
!~!~!~!~!~!!!~!~!~!~!~!~!~#@#@$@#
July 21, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

WTTF:FILM_HOLD_AT_ELEVEN_Process_AS_AN_EXPLOITED_CHILD_PURSUANT_TO_INTERNATIONAL_AND_DOMESTIC_LAW_s____AND____|_CLEARANDPRESENTDANGER_|____
July 21, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Reply
LOL

Of course China will never truly own America – China would bailout
soon enough once signs that America is truly running a ponzi scheme
occurs, America would be worthless to ever be considered a reliable
debtor nation, the entire international bond market will flee in
tandem. Then who will be owning Americans now? Americans themselves.
It's your future at stake, China was never the convenient boogeyman it
set out to be, because America sucks.
July 22, 2011 at 7:36 am | Reply
max

meanwhile, back at the ranch, GAZILLIONS of unwashed poor
immigrants brave the deserts and high seas to make their way into the
us, mainly to feed off of the remaining carcass(ie tax dollars)so they
can go back to their homelands to build bigger and better weapons so
they too can wear their big boy pants and contribute to the end of
this massive experimental failure called earth. dieties, you really
f'd up!
July 22, 2011 at 11:48 am | Reply
Derek

Who washed you when you landed here?? How come you still
here ? No money to go back on the BOAT /TONY from where you came
from??
July 24, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
max

scaring ETHIOPIAN and SOMALI pirates with super duper carriers?
waste of resources maybe?
July 22, 2011 at 11:42 am | Reply
TommysaurusRex

Try a trillion + in Iraq and who knows how much in
Afghanistan. That was wasting resources, you can at least make an
argument that fending of Somali pirates is helping protect
people/resources of country that cant do it on its own. Thats not a
waste
July 22, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Reply
Elizabeth

Fending off pirates from shipping is probably money well
spent. Except that we must consider that some shipping is contributing
to the debt problem; do we need all those foreign goods, or can we
figure out how to manufacture them ourselves?
July 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
That'snotTrue:[

....................Well America doesn't own itself either, the
bankers and Wall street do. What do you say to that author?
July 22, 2011 at 11:48 am | Reply
Glenn

It's anyone who owns government bonds and bills = rich people.
July 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Reply
Mike in Pekin

Rich people? Do you have a pension plan, 401K, IRA? Mutual
Funds? All of these are likely to be partially invested in US Treasury
Bonds. So, if you are invested in any of these, you are invested in US
Treasuries. Also, your Social Security payments that you made all your
life, are currently held as bonds from the federal government. So,
unless you have never worked a day in your life, and have no savings,
investments, or pensions whatsoever, you are invested in the US
Government, like every other working American.
July 22, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
Elizabeth

401K? Haven't you heard what happened to people's savings
in the last few years? My family saved and saved and... bye bye.
If the 500 or so billionaires and many more millionaires
in America gave just half their money to plug this hole (not a yearly
tax, but a one-time contribution), all the debt and deficit would be
GONE RIGHT NOW.
July 24, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
Pliny

WE THE PEOPLE need to setup a guillotine on the sidewalk right
outside the NYSE. And a second one right outside Goldman Sacks.
July 22, 2011 at 11:54 am | Reply
Beel

umm...can we set one up next to Congress? I would like to run
that one if it's OK...
July 22, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Reply
Elizabeth

Just the gesture would be fun: get a fake one and some stage
magicians...
If all the billionaires and millionaires each contributed half
their money (they wouldn't even feel it; they could write a check to
buy your house), the debt would be GONE.
July 24, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Reply
Elizabeth

By the way, a lot of rich people invent their own religions,
or re-write whatever religion they are in, throwing away that part
they don't like, because every monotheistic religion says to give to
the poor, or else dire consequences in the after life.
July 24, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Reply
Mike

You should try working hard and making money some day.
Maybe then you'll stop whiny about people who are more skilled that
you ever will be making more money than you.
July 25, 2011 at 8:51 am |
303CO

Am I missing something? Read your own figures, China is indeed the
largest foreign owner of American debt.
July 22, 2011 at 11:56 am | Reply
Mike in Pekin

You mis read the statement. The article refutes the
supposition that China holds the MAJORITY of US Debt. In Fact, about
2/3's of US debt is held in one way or another by US Citizens, either
directly or indirectly. But even China is not the largest single owner
of US debt – The Social Security Administration is, followed by the US
Treasury. China ranks third behind two of our own Government Agencies.
(How that works, i am not sure, but the US Government has managed to
become indebted to itself for almost 4 Trillion Dollars!)
July 22, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Reply
Elizabeth

Social Security should not cause a debt, because that was
paid into by U.S. citizens from every paycheck, and was designed for
one worker per family, not the two that are currently working into old
age. What happened is that the government dipped into the Social
Security fund, then wouldn't pay back, and now blames the people who
didn't steal from the fund. And the rich get richer and richer and
richer and richer...
My only comment to China is to watch out: you have a new
rich class too, and you will see what happens when they manage to
drain your ecomony, over-building, stealing from funds, causing
environmental disasters, taking away government regulations, and
causing a faster and faster spiral downwards. And the rich who
promised people jobs in manufacturing will just move on to another
part of the world, leaving many Detroits behind.
July 24, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
Bianca

Now I understand the incesant drum beat to "reform" social
security. Just return the money, and all is well. Fund obviously has a
SURPLUS. Now, if we stop playing games with numbers, we will realize
that well over 50% of all discretionary spending goes into military
empire of bases and wars that nobody understands. No country can do
this, and manage to keep internal peace. But I do not see any party in
power, nor the media, cationing against such gross militarization of
society. Especially when such militarization is at this point taking
money from funds that were set up and paid for by contributors to
provide for old age and sickness. When a military complex stoops this
low, and nobody is raising voice - now that is something to think
about.
July 22, 2011 at 11:57 am | Reply
Ryan

Bianca,
You nailed it!
Thank you.
July 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Reply
Beel

That is what brought down the Soviet Union....their military
empire...It also brought down Rome. Doesn't anybody learn anything?
This is what happens when we put lawyers in charge... Chaos...
July 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Reply
Elizabeth

I agree, somewhat. But it is the world's over-population that
causes the massive police force. What galls me is that America somehow
thinks it has to be that police force.
In the Middle Ages, the nobles started losing money because
they kept large armies, while the middle class only gained money.
There is no middle class in America; it is all in those countries that
only have a small military. But some is necessary, because there
really are warlords, terrorists, pirates, and rogue nations; it's just
that we don't need the kind of military that we have.
July 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Reply
TommysaurusRex

If the social security trust fund holds 2.67 trillion in US debt,
wouldn't a US default or even just a rating downgrade essentially ruin
that social program?
July 22, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Reply
LetsFixIT

to Bianca, TsRex et al – Yes The Truth Does Hurt !! And – In
my long life – so far I have Not Once headr a Politician or a Govt.
official ever mention any plan or intent to RePay (Citizen TaxPayers)
the Social Security Fund!
NO MORE WARs – Give Diplomacy and Peaceful Behaviours
priority!!
July 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Reply
TommysaurusRex

dude what a lame response
July 22, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
JT

No more wars........yeah........okay. And how exactly is
that going to happen? Get your head out of your pipe and wake up.
July 22, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
wwsd

As Teddy Roosevelt once said "Speak softly but carry a big
stick"
July 23, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
Elizabeth

It is tempting to sneak birth control into all those
nations that make war over and over again. Population is the reason
for all the military build up, the poverty, and unstable governments,
including our own.
July 24, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
Glenn

The richest Americans want us to increase the debt ceiling and
want us to keep running a deficit and lower their taxes. They want the
rest of us to be indebted to them forever. It's a cushy job.
July 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Reply
Elizabeth

And they hide behind the 2nd Amendment, because they know that
even an "automatic weapon" couldn't compete with tanks, bombs, spies,
etc. The rich use their superior fire-power to keep us all cowed.
We have to get rid of the Electoral College which gives the
landed aristocracy two extra votes per red state. We must make America
a democracy, and then we can really take back America. We want this
democracy, and we want a free market system, but in what way do the
super-rich make this a free-market? It is not free if they can
undercut everybody else.
July 24, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

REPOSTpostPOSTp0st:(A friendly reminder)
July 22, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

...see...TOPofP0ST___
REPOSTpostPOSTp0st:(A friendly reminder)
America owes foreigners about $4.5 trillion in debt. But
America owes America $9.8 trillion.
[just a reminder as this line of thoughts expands and
expounds]
()08080()
{}0880{}
8886/INTL/ARMD/(#$#)/../\/\/ttF.\/\ DUCwutIC ?
{
WAKEUP USA \ P8tree0TT \ / \/ :
__________________________CHILD_SLAVERY__AND__EXPLOITATION

_IS_A_PRESSING_SYSTEMWIDE_ISSUE_REQUIRING_AN_INTERNATIONAL_RESPONSE__TO__BECOME_implemented

_ASAP__and__MAINTAINED_ON_VARIOUS_LEVELS_OF_OPERATIONAL_PARAMETERS__AS__TIMEpermits__HOLD

_FILM_AT_TEN_BASE_SIXTEEN__AND__THEN__SEEK_AGE_TWENTY_AS_BASELINE_FOR__MINIMAL__

INTEROPERABILITY__REQUISITE__Temporal_REQqQq__OVERRIDE_CONTROL_FUNCTION_SeRVed_
_(360X360)_#_:
•S3KShun8•
}
July 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

@@ CNN @@@

I have reorganized the list at the top but I am unable to post
this through your automatic censor protocols . Please DROP your SERVER
at next earliest convenience and _FIX_YER_CRAPSL0P_CODE__

S3KShuN8
July 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

...see...TOPofP0ST___
REPOSTpostPOSTp0st:(A friendly reminder)
......|_\/__Here's the big idea:

•State and local governments: $506.1 billion (3.5 percent)
•State, local and federal retirement funds: $320.9 billion
(2.2 percent)

_CONTROL_FUNCTION_SeRVed__(360X360)_#_}
{•S3KShun8•}
July 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

...see...TOPofP0ST___
REPOSTpostPOSTp0st:(A friendly reminder)
......|_\/__Here's the big idea:

•Social Security trust fund: $2.67 trillion (19 percent)
•The U.S. Treasury: $1.63 trillion (11.3 percent)
•U.S. households: $959.4 billion (6.6 percent)

_CONTROL_FUNCTION_SeRVed__(360X360)_#_}
{•S3KShun8•}
July 22, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

...see...TOPofP0ST___
REPOSTpostPOSTp0st:(A friendly reminder)
......|_\/__Here's the big idea:

•Private pension funds: $504.7 billion (3.5 percent)
•Money market mutual funds: $337.7 billion (2.4 percent)
•Mutual funds: $300.5 billion (2 percent)
•Oil exporting countries: $229.8 billion (1.6 percent)

{•S3KShun8•}
July 22, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

...see...TOPofP0ST___
REPOSTpostPOSTp0st:(A friendly reminder)
......|_\/__Here's the big idea:

•Commercial banks: $301.8 billion (2.1 percent)
•Caribbean banking centers: $148.3 (1 percent)

{•S3KShun8•}
July 22, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

...see...TOPofP0ST___
REPOSTpostPOSTp0st:(A friendly reminder)
......|_\/__Here's the big idea:
INTERNATIONALLY HELD DEBT LINES WILL NOT POST.
UDODAMATHFORTHAT.
[...]

July 22, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
Chang

Lost me at Hint....
July 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

"NO_CHILD_LEFT_BEHIND"
July 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

a QWOTe from a library book:

People write programs.
[PEOPLE_WRITE_PR0GRAMS]

{•S3KShun8•}
July 22, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

[S3KShun8] ({
RE: SUITS (_the_card_game_)
TO: dealer, Primary Four players, etc. ALL
[S3KShun8] })

[S3KShun8] ({

RE: Anzüge (_the_card_game_)
TO: Händler, Primary Vier Spieler, etc. ALL

[[S3KShun8]})
GAME_ON_:
_on_GAME:
{}{}{}[W\/\/W]:
(X,Y,Z):
July 22, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Reply
Nat

The headline is misleading. Who the U.S. owes debt to is different
than you owns actual assets within the U.S. What companies, banks (
notice alot of RBC, TD logos lately) land etc is has been bought up at
bargain sale prices since the U.S. screwed up it's economy by the
greedy.
July 22, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Reply
WTTF08080

Given the current situation in DC my proposal to temporarily
move DC to KC has Passed Internal Muster .
GG_BBTY_\/_PROCEED_WITH_5_PLAYERS_AND_A_new_dealer . . .
REDUCE STALEMATE GAME TO 4 PLAYERS AND THEN PROCEED TO A NEW
GAME WITH 4 good players .
Reduce Stalem8 Game to 4 players and then PROCEED TO A
NEW_GAME with 4 good players .

REuseRECYCLE_BIN_TO_GENERATE_SEEDFEED_DATA_NEEDED_TO_PROCEED_WITH_four
.

RECYCLE_batch_queue_to_#INCLUDE#_NEW_GAME_DATA_FEED_SEED_TO_RESPOOL_WITH
.
FOUR
July 22, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Reply
Elizabeth

Yes, I think the rich are so rich that they don't care at all;
they purposely crashed the economy so that they could buy more of the
land, so that when things get "better" (for them), they can RENT it to
the rest of us, and the people of America will NEVER OWN ANYTHING.
July 24, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Reply
James

STILL UNACCEPTABLE! You are saying that almost half of our debt is
held by foreign powers and that's just dandy? Earth to Tom, China
still holds a substantial portion of our debt and we are currently
powerless to pay that off. Tell me that does not affect our foreign
policy?
July 22, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Reply
Elizabeth

I agree about foreign debt. The trouble is, we have no policy
here but feel sorry for the rich, give them more breaks so that they
can take more of our money out of the country to start more foreign
businesses that will take more American money out of the country, and
if everything goes bust, they can buy up all the land and resources so
that everybody will owe them for everything. And meanwhile, the
exploding population is also part of the problem, but since it keeps
people poor, the rich want to prevent people from getting any kind of
birth control so that the countries can all go to war against each
other and not care that the environment is ruined.
July 24, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Reply
Dan

Who owes the United States? How much? Has the US forgiven debt to
other nations over the years? What is that adjusted total?
July 22, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Reply
John

To everyone who says "America sucks", " I hate America", or
anything along those lines.... I have an idea for you. MOVE!!! You are
NOT STUCK HERE. If you think it's so bad, just go to Mexico, or
Afghanastan, or Iraq. We don't need you negative Nancys here.
July 22, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Reply
Nat

Actually those who can afford are leaving. It's a sinking
ship.
July 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Reply
228

I have HK, Austrilia,and the US citizenship. Guess which one
I'm willing to renounce first?
July 23, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Reply
wwsd

So get the 4377 out and please let the door hit you on the
way out. By the way you mispelled australia dummy
July 23, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
Elizabeth

I agree. Everybody rich enough to own property in a foreign
country should leave the U.S., and leave our money here too.
July 24, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Reply
Charles

Real break through, morons- AFTER Americans, who owns the US?
CHINA!!!
July 22, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Reply
bkrombholz

uhhh, has anyone read the source of who Business Insider is? The
disclaimer right on their site says the following leading me to ask if
these stats are true:
"Business Insider publishes news, information, gossip, rumors,
conjecture, opinions, and commentary. The site includes both reported
and edited content and unmoderated posts and comments containing the
personal opinions of readers on a wide range of topics. You should be
skeptical of any information on Business Insider, because it may be
wrong."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/disclaimer#ixzz1SrI8zzxA
July 22, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Reply
Beel

That disclaimer belongs on the door to Congress
July 22, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Reply
sharky

Priceless
July 24, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Reply
Randy

How can America be in debt to itself????....just saying, think
about it.
July 22, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Reply
Interesting Idea

By buying US Treasury bonds...if I remember correctly
July 22, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Reply
JeramieH

Treasury bonds. I pay the govt X now, and the govt pays back
X+I to me later. The +I part is the kicker part.
July 22, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Reply
sharky

Intergovernmental holdings increased the debt and well look to
Social Security as one of the main ones. Social Security has been
"robbed" for years by the Government there is no money in it anymore,
only IOUs.
July 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Reply
acid

because programs like social security and medicare are paid
into by the American people for use by the American people not for
government use. the government used that money to fund its wars and so
on and now has to replace that money. its like if you parents open a
trust fund for you to use when your 18 but when you you were 16, the
had to dip into it and now owe you money before you hit 18.
July 25, 2011 at 9:24 am | Reply
Interesting Idea

Before any laughs at this being an idiotic idea...there is a
precedence for this (some guy foreclosed on a Bank of America branch
over a dispute on a home loan...and won).

If the numbers are true(and even if they aren't), we as Americans
(who are here legally) should find a legalized way to call in that
debt. And if there is no action, follow the banks procedures, and
start a foreclosure on congress and the white house, who are dragging
their feet over the debt.
July 22, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Reply
Beel

what? say that again...what do we do? we can foreclose on
Congress? Are the courts open tomorrow? Or do I need to wait until
Monday?
July 22, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Reply
Randy

Treasury bonds are artificially created by printing money out of
thin air. They are not backed by anything or any one. Not since the
1920's did we have money that was actually backed by a tangible asset.
July 22, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Reply
Indra Moedjio

I have visited India and China last year. Sorry, no comparison
with living here in U.S.A.
July 22, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Reply
Taiwanguy

I did the same and I agree with you. However, I am witnesssing
things are heading for the worse and I Can't See The Light At The End
Of The Tunnel. Never lost hope in the past 30yrs but now it seems that
way.
July 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Reply
JOE

I'm appaled and disappointed by Fareed and the respondents to this
article for their lack of intellect, commonsense and knowleage of
history. So which country abroad owns the united States the most? The
answer is very clear and simple and that country is Israel. For
example, we give e billion dollars in military aid to Israel anually
and another 5 billion in
economic aid, yet we can't even get them to come to the
negotiating table to broker a peace deal with the palestinians.

And no matter how many American citizens die at the hands of
global terrorists for our double standard support of Israel, yet
Israel refuses to weaver and give in to peace or to the US demands.
Yea, Isreal owns the US.
July 22, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Reply
sharky

Oh good fripping grief, enough with the blame Israel. Who are
you Cynthia McKinney.
July 24, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Reply

If I'm reading this right, the government is indebted mostly to
domestic creditors. Foreign countries own approxmiately 30%. How are
some of you still saying they own more? Are my calculations wrong?
July 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Reply
Martin Murray

In other words freemasons have America under their thumb which is
why so many evil laws are being passed recently. In a country that was
founded on Christianity, there must be only 1% Christians left there
and none in positions of power! Blame yourselves (the voters)!
The Founding Fathers must be spinning in their graves.
July 22, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Reply
do

this guy is propagandist. pretty dumb leaving out the whole pie...
July 22, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Reply
Dave Emanuel

While I'm sure it's not intentional, Zakaria's article misses the
financial Texas two-step known as foreign aid. Some of the countries
from which we have borrowed money are the recipients of financial aid
from the United States. Consequently, computation of actual debt
should incorporate the costs incurred when money is given away, then
borrowed from the recipient and repaid with interest. If the United
States gives a country $1 billion, then borrows $1 billion from that
country, the net effect is an increase in aid (interest payments) that
is written off as debt service. If the money is never repaid, it's a
net zero transaction, even though the debt will still be listed. If it
is repaid, it's no longer listed as direct debt, but did in fact
contribute to the overall national debt. If the Federal government
weren't so intent on giving money to foreign countries, our national
debt level might not have risen to such profound levels.
July 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Reply
Beel

Wow...somebody is paying attention. Run for office pal. I'll
vote for you...
July 22, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Reply
iamnotaneoconidiot

OK call me dumb. I just don't understand how it can be said that
the US Treasury "owns" US Treasury debt. That sounds like saying I
have my money in my right pocket and now I put it in my left pocket.
Someone please explain........................
July 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Reply
Beel

And there you have a perfect example of why this nation is in
trouble. None of those genius lawyers in Congress can count!
July 22, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Reply
reader

Because this article has an error. It should say Federal
Reserve, not US Treasury. You are correct the Treasury can't buy its
own debt.
July 22, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Reply
Calc

I must have missed something, but when i added up the percentages
given I only got 75.5%, which means 24.5% is still missing. Also the
debt owed figures only add up to about $10.8 trillion not $14.5
trillion. I am not sure what the source of the article is, but they
should check their math.
July 22, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Reply
Benc

Yup I did the same math – ridiculous! goes to show you can
trust (or not).. what a load of rubbish
July 25, 2011 at 10:14 am | Reply
Me

Corporations own America.
July 22, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Reply
STOP PRESS

CNN – stop the comments section of your news. Hatred and
Radicalism will develop thru CNN portal, and we may have a terrorist
given birth by CNN
July 22, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Reply
smokey

Perhaps you could reply to the egregious comments instead of
calling for silencing of us all? Though, I do relate.... I wipe my a$$
with the first amendment also.
July 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Reply
Beel

I demand to know who the father is! He needs to help raise the
child he and CNN created...
July 22, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Reply
acpie

This article is better written:

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/01/is-china-really-funding-the-us-debt/
July 22, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Reply
WOW!

Wow! One troll comments and the racists come out of the woodwork!
Nice!
July 22, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Reply
Abe

The numbers above only add to 10.8 trillion and the percents add
to 75.5%. Were are the rest of the numbers?
July 22, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Reply
Beel

Mars?
July 22, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Reply
Harley2010

It is a good thing we have math. By my count it you have accounted
for $10.3 billion or 75.5% of our debt. Who owns the other 24.5%? That
leaves a pretty large hole in your analysis.
July 22, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Reply
Harley2010

Thats trillion not billion.
July 22, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Reply
DarTexas

Man this article is full of it. Just what I expected probably cuz
Wolf Blitzer and Paula Zahn were probably telling the guy what to
write. JEWS own america don't ever forget that! They own cnn and most
importantly they own our economy. Bernanke is the guy that prints the
money but because of lack of good education in this country most ppl
turn to this website because they think they are gonna find all the
worlds answers. And no i'm not jewish.
July 22, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Reply
truthsayer2

On, thank you CNN. I feel much better knowing that foreign
interests own ONLY 1/3 of our national debt.
July 22, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Reply
Patty

Ya, wasn't that nice of them to report that we'll never see
9.8 trillion dollars returned to the US and all it's citizens? That is
such a comforting thought...now why do they keep stating the entire
amount owed, when they know perfectly well they will never repay any
of these debts back to the US programs they stole it from?????
July 25, 2011 at 8:41 am | Reply
Ram

"We regard cow as mother only because she gives you her milk to
drink after your mother stopped giving you milk to drink ! "
WHAT AN ARGUMENT! This shows that most Indians are ignorant and
stupid morons!
Just say that your religion tells you to worship cows and rats and
monkeys.
July 22, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Reply
Beel

umm...here in America we worship money.what's the diff?
July 22, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Reply
Mike in Montana

What ! The U.S. owns Social Security trust fund $2.67 trillion
dollars of our own money. And their (congress) talking about NOT
paying Social Security recipients, who have paid into Social Security
the majority of their whole life, no check on August 3rd.. What a
minute.., your telling me, that baby-boomers, senior citizens, retired
individuals, disabled, veterans, middle-class americans, members of
AARP and the poor are not or may not receive their Social Security
checks on Augst 3rd.., because the United States Congress borrowed
money in the amount of $2.67 trillion dollars and these poor souls
will NOT be able to pay their mortgage or rent, utilities, bills,
debts and simply trying to put food on the table for themselves or
their family with children. There's something wrong with this
picture.. If they are NOT paid on Augst 3rd.., who's going to pay for
the 'late charge fees' for being late in paying their bills and who is
going to fix their 'credit rating', that will be hurt and damaged.
Will President Barack Obama, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio and
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Virginia pay their late charge
fees and fix their credit rating that will surely drop.., I doubt it.
So.., Social Security recipients are going to get it, both ways. What
a way to bend over and get it, were it hurts the most.., their own
pocket book and not being able to pay the rent, bills or put food on
the table for their family and children. We certainly have a great
House of Representatives, Senate and President. I think.., we voted in
the wrong people on both sides. Work your whole life for retirement
and Social Security and in the end.., nothing. The rich get richer and
the poorer get poorer.., thank you Mr. President, John and of course
the most disliked man in congress Eric Cantor. Mike in Montana
July 22, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Reply
ketrout

After reading this I think that it is time to pay America back and
to put a stop to borrowing money from foreign governments. We need to
have a BALANCED BUDGET NOW!!!

OBAMA has put us deeper in debt than any other president! It is
time to get rid of Obama and his administration, along with everyone
in Congress, and get some FRESH blood, with fresh ideas t get us out
of the mess that Obama has put us in.

If we, the American public have to live within our means, then I
expect our government do the same!!!!
July 22, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Reply
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

NO YOU CAN THANK THE GOP FOR PUTTIN US IN DEBT OBAMA IS
GRABBING THAT SHOVEL AND TRYIN TO DIG US OUT THE HOLE BUSH AND WALL
STREET PUT US IN
July 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Reply
Beel

he needs to stop digging – we are in deep enough I think
July 22, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
Gethetruth

@Trout you are a typical Republican with no ability to analyse
or think. If a repulican president was it Office now you would not be
even reading these columns and the situation would have been a lot
worse. You forget that Clinton left 3 trillion surplus, Bush spent it
all and put us in the red for another 10 trilion. The Gang of four
(Bush, Dick, Cheny, Paul. W) is resposible for most of it, but labor
unions and the lawyers also contibuted for much of the manufacturing
to move to China. So much of America wealth in IP and manufacturing
technology went to China and they paid nothing for it.

The US can pay any amout of debt because it can print $$$ and
write of its own debts. Its stupid to argue about who owns the US.
July 22, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Reply
GCV

The fundamental problem is that we Americans do not live
within our means. We buy cheap foreign goods, but make nothing in
return. Paying for those cheap goods depletes our money supply. The
money supply is replenished by borrowing more money. Ideally, the
consumer would do the borrowing, but after a decade of excess
borrowing, th consumer's debt is way way too high. So now the job of
borrowing, to replenish our money supply, falls to the government.
That is why the government spends stimulus money and why the Fed has
programs like the QE2 – to create debt and thereby add money back into
the system. Without that money, our economy would collapse.

There is only one solution to this mess – and it isn't
balancing the budget. The fix is to make stuff that the rest of the
world would want to buy from us. They only thing we have to sell the
rest of the world right now is debt.
July 24, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Reply
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

LOL BET INDIA DNT THINK THE WORLD IS COMMING TO AN END
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE PROBLEM WITH AMERICA IS THEY CANNOT FACE THE
FACT THAT THE BIG MAN THEY PUT IN OFFICE FROM 2000 TO 2008 WRECKED
THIS COUNTRY,AND NOW YOU INVITED THE TEA PARTY TO THE OFFICE BECAUSE
AMERICANS ARE BLINDED BY HATE!!! BE HONEST WHY DID MAJORITY OF THE
PEOPLE VOTE FOR THE TEA PARTY ,NOT BECAUSE THEY HAD GREAT POLITICAL
VIEWS BUT BECAUSE THEY WENT AGAINST OBAMA LMAO!!!!!OH GOD BLESS
AMERICA LOL!!!! THEY WOULD RATHER CUT FUNDING FOR SCHOOLS THEN TAX THE
BIG COMPANIES THAT TOOK OUR JOBS OVER SEAS SO I ASK THIS WHAT EVER
HAPPEN TO"COUNTRY FIRST"?LETS BE HONEST THE WARS SENT US INTO THE PITS
OF HELL WHEN IT COMES TO MONEY THANK YOU REPUBLICANS U GET A APPLAUD!
NEXT LETTING OUR JOBS GO OVER SEAS AND NOT KEEPING EVERYTHING DOMESTIC
FROM AGRICULTURE TO AMERICAN MADE CARS TSK TSK!!!! NOT TAPPING ARE OWN
OIL AND IMPORTING IT SUCH A SAD CASE DNT YA THINK!!!OH AND LETTING IN
ALL THE IMMIGRANTS LMAO!!! ASK YA SELF DO YOU SEE ANY OTHER COUNTRY
WITH MORE IMMIGRANTS THAN AMERICA?HMMMM DNT THINK SO AMERICA HUNG
THEMSELVES CHASING A DOLLAR AND A DREAM NOW IT'S TIME FOR US TO HUNKER
DOWN AND TAKE THIS ASS WHOOPIN!!!THANK YOU GOP YOU ARE SADLY
APPRECIATED!!!!
July 22, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Reply
Beel

you must be very lonely confined to that little closet in the
attic...don't forget to take you meds troll boy
July 22, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Reply
gremlinus

Either you've never been to America or you live here and you
live in your mom's basement. Either way, get a clue. Most Americans
don't think this way. If you remember, Bush LOST the popular election,
which means a majority of people actually DIDN'T vote for him. And
that's more validity than your post deserves.
July 23, 2011 at 1:06 am | Reply
RM

Let's see.....Hmmmm.....ISRAEL????!!!!
July 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Reply
jack h

why does it seem like washington dc, is owned and controled by
israel? why have american troops been fighting and dieing in israeli
false flag wars for the last 20 years? why does everyone in washington
fear saying anything negative about israel?. because america owes it's
national debt to the federal reserve bank which is owned by the
jewish/zionist central banks of europe. america will never be free of
debt or war until we close this den of thieves and vipers because war
only puts us deeper into debt. a vicious cirle we cannot escape. and
everyone in washington dc knows that to challenge the fed will result
in their death. one reason why ron paul will never be nominated by the
republicans for president. the will nominate mitt romney, george bush
in disguise. but how has obama done? obama added 3 more wars, somalia,
yeman, and libya.
July 22, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Reply
Gethetruth

Obama did not add wars, Somalia was on going; the US is hardy
involve in Libya and Yemen is a terrorist state and US is not spending
any there either. As for US debts, its a lot of politics to get votes.
The US can pay any debt because it can print money, so can any country
that can print its own money.
July 22, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Reply
JLS639

It seems like Washington is controlled by Israel because you
have a distorted view of reality. Israel is an ally and is therefore
favored by Washington over non-allies like Jordan or Hamas. People in
Washington do say bad things about Israel. I have heard many
complaints by pro-Israel folks about it. Israel does not control the
Federal Reserve. That is your delusion. The Federal Reserve acts in a
predictably moneterist fashion and has for decades.
July 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Reply
gremlinus

Yes, because Mormons are sooooo in with the Jews. Please, they
aren't even in with the Christians. At least Romney has business
sense. Bush tanked every business he was put in charge of. As a
democrat, Romney scares me less than Bush ever did (but I'm still not
voting for him.)
July 23, 2011 at 1:08 am | Reply
NonZionist

What delicious irony! Our politicians have thrown the
successful philosophy of our founders out the window and now grovel at
the feet of a failed fascist regime!

Every year our politicians march off to AIPAC to declare their
"Absolute" and "Unconditional" fealty to the Israeli regime, a regime
spawned by terrorists and based on ethnic supremacy.

"Unconditional" means that the demands of the foreign regime
override all other considerations - morality, justice, American
principles, American interests.

Forgetting that America once stood for freedom and equal
rights, our politicians give billions each year to a regime that keeps
millions of people under perpetual occupation and bombardment while
using alleged genetic background as the basis for determining rights,
a regime that has killed dozens of Americans, a regime that tried to
sink one of our warships, a regime that is responsible for the worst
spy in U.S. history, a regime that sells our military secrets to our
adversaries. This is the regime that our politicians worship!

Why?! Why would they abandon Americanism, a philosophy with a
track record of success and brilliance, and sell their souls to a
rogue regime with a morally bankrupt ideology of ethnic division?

"Sell" is the operative word. Our politicians fund Israel,
and, in return, Israel, through AIPAC, funds our politicians. What a
cozy kickback scheme!

Of course, we are not allowed to call it that: Israel might be
offended! Here in a country founded on freedom of speech, a foreign
power now determines what our public figures are allowed to say.
July 23, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Reply
Pepe Le Jew
2011-07-26 23:38:16 UTC
Post by John Boner
[...]
You're just discovering this now? Wow.

And you post 2557 lines of comments as well as the freakin' blog post,
what a loon.
carl
what a loon.
John Boner
2011-07-27 07:37:47 UTC
Post by Pepe Le Jew
Post by John Boner
[...]
LOL. You count lines and have nothing to say on the topic. Nutbag.

Merely upgrading the quality of discussion on these rant boards. But
I do that just by showing up and dropping a post on top of your slant
heads. One post from me and it feeds an army. You, on the other
hand, have posted ten life times worth of nonsense here and dodge
facts, links and logic. Indeed so MANY of your vain attempts to post
something interesting die a lonely death that might explain your
shotgun approach to puking nonsense until you finally pleasure
yourself via one of your fellow retarded half-wit sockpuppets
attaboys. Tsk. Poor Rudd always lost in a cloud of his own petard.

I find it ironic that your only comment is that there are a whole lot
of comments. DUH. Couldn't think up anything pertinent to say
ON-TOPIC, again, as usual. You're just a knee-jerk nabob of
negativity, cRudd. Go to your happy place. Glug, glug, glug.
Dyanetics
2011-07-27 15:39:05 UTC
Post by John Boner
LOL. You count lines and have nothing to say on the topic. Nutbag.
69.151.231.137

5210-5298 Inker St
Houston, TX 77007
Flybd5
2011-07-27 17:29:14 UTC
Ho-frickin-hum. You must be like 6 years old and completely bored out of your skull. Tell your mama to let you off your leash every once in a while, nimrod. :)
John Boner
2011-07-27 17:39:28 UTC
Post by Dyanetics
Post by John Boner
LOL. You count lines and have nothing to say on the topic. Nutbag.
69.151.231.137
5210-5298 Inker St
Houston, TX 77007
Spammy Mommy, use more bleach in my tighty whiteys. I can still see
Spammy Sam's face in the streak marks I get running up and down Jester
Blvd.
Pepe Le Jew
2011-07-28 00:53:00 UTC
Post by Dyanetics
Post by John Boner
LOL. You count lines and have nothing to say on the topic. Nutbag.
69.151.231.137
5210-5298 Inker St
Houston, TX 77007
That is not Kenneth Ray Martin's address.

Pepe Le Jew
2011-07-28 00:42:58 UTC
Post by John Boner
Post by Pepe Le Jew
Post by John Boner
[...]
I've had lots to say on the topic for years, idiot. This is OLD news, and
you get all exited and paste an entire comment archive, easily one of the
longest posts of the decade.

Loon shit. And you think no-one's gonna notice?
Post by John Boner
Merely upgrading the quality of discussion on these rant boards.
Quantity, a whole shitload of quantity, you contributed two lines to the
thousands, not that anyone's counting.
Post by John Boner
Bu I do that just by showing up and dropping a post on top of your slant
heads. One post from me and it feeds an army.
So you're being an idiot on purpose, to make a point. You sure are one
weird dude.
jane
2011-07-27 02:50:27 UTC
[...]
From around the web
[...]
read more »
You have one major problem, a confusion between "public debt" and
Total National Debt.

The Total debt consists of the Public Debt plus the Intragovernmental
Holdings. Intragovernmental Holdings are Government Account Series
securities held by Government trust funds, such as the Social Security
Trust Fund; revolving funds, and special funds; and Federal Financing
Bank securities. A small amount of marketable securities are held by
government accounts.

The debt held by the public is only $9.7 trillion. Since America owes
foreigners about $4.5 trillion in debt, foreign holders of US Treasury
Notes amount to almost half of the public held debt.

Footnotes:
http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np
Flybd5
2011-07-27 03:52:26 UTC
Check your eyeglasses.

"Intragovernmental Holdings are Government Account Series securities held by Government trust funds, revolving funds, and special funds; and Federal Financing Bank securities. A small amount of marketable securities are held by government accounts."

That's money held in the US, not foreign governments. Foreign governments are classified as part of the "debt owned by the public."